How Much Is a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Worth?
According to the EPA, the average American’s life is valued at around $10.3 million in 2019, but the value of a wrongful death claim can vary wildly. Wrongful death settlements and trial verdicts in the US often range between $50,000 and $50 million.
Every case is unique, and the value of any wrongful death claim depends on a number of factors. This includes the victims, age, occupation, income, the level of pain and suffering experienced prior to death, insurance coverage available, and much, much more.
- Loss of financial contributions (e.g., familial income) and inheritance;
- Medical and funeral expenses;
- Pain and suffering experienced by the victim prior to death;
- Emotional distress and mental anguish;
- Loss of benefits (such as health insurance or retirement benefits);
- Loss of services and support (such as care, protection and guidance); and
- Loss of love, society, consortium, or companionship.
Punitive damages may also increase the value of a wrongful death case, but are generally only awarded in cases involving severe misconduct and/or gross negligence.
Montgomery Law is a Dallas-based personal injury law firm focused on getting clients the justice and compensation they deserve.
Call us toll-free at 1-833-720-6090 to discuss your case today for no cost.