How Long Does a Personal Injury Lawsuit Take?
While you may be expecting this answer, the truth is that it depends. Every case really is unique. While some personal injury claims can be settled in just a few months, others—especially those requiring litigation—can sometimes take several years to be resolved.
The length of time it takes to resolve a personal injury case really all depends upon the following key factors:
- The facts of your case and your ability to prove negligence/liability.
- The extent of your injuries (as you can’t know your total damages until you’ve completed treatment).
- Procedural/logistical issues and delay tactics commonly used by the opposing side.
- Your willingness to compromise (i.e., accept a lower settlement).
- The other insurance company’s willingness to negotiate (i.e., offer more money).
Should you come to a stalemate during settlement negotiations, the only option available to you is to file a lawsuit. While litigation usually means your case will take longer to resolve, the case can still be settled at any time. The truth is that there’s simply no way to accurately predict how long a personal injury lawsuit will take, but an attorney can explain exactly what to expect moving forward.
Montgomery Law is a Dallas-based personal injury law firm focused on getting clients the justice and compensation they deserve.
Call us toll-free at 1-833-720-6090 to discuss your case today for no cost.