How to Get Your Police Accident Report in Texas

HomeLegalPolice Accident Reports

Accident reports are an important part of your case. Here’s how to request a copy of your report in Texas.

Request Your Crash Report in Texas

If you’ve been involved in a car accident, one of the most important pieces of evidence is the accident report—called a “Texas Peace Officer’s Crash Report” (CR-3) in Texas. You’re entitled to a copy of this report, and this article will explain how to request one.

Following an auto accident, there are several things you need to do in order to ensure that you have the best chance at a successful claim. One of the most-overlooked steps is requesting a copy of your accident report. These reports are often heavily relied upon by insurance companies, and will likely have a significant impact on your claim.

Because crash reports are typically filled out by the responding officer and not a trained investigator, they are not always 100 percent accurate. Your attorney can often have the original report amended (or request a supplemental report) in order to correct the facts, but it’s extremely important that any mistakes or inaccuracies be caught early on.

In Texas, accident reports are typically available within a few days to three weeks of the incident, so it’s important to request a copy as soon as possible. If you were injured and have hired a car accident attorney to handle your claim, your crash report has likely already been requested. If you do not have an attorney, this article will explain the process of requesting a copy directly from your local law enforcement office.

Contents of an Official Crash Report

An accident report is written by the responding officer, and is essentially a summary of the facts (i.e., what happened) based on the officer’s initial observations and interviews with the involved parties. A Texas Peace Officer’s Crash Report typically contains the following information:

  • Date, time, and location of the accident.
  • Identifying information for those involved.
  • Each driver’s insurance provider and policy number.
  • Known injuries and extent of damage to the vehicle(s) involved.
  • Statements from those involved and witnesses.
  • Witnesses contact information (if applicable).
  • Road, weather, and lighting conditions at the scene of the accident.
  • A visual diagram of the accident.
  • Laws/codes violated.
  • The officer’s opinion as to cause and/or fault.

Its important to understand that in Texas, police officers are not required to submit a written report for every reported motor vehicle collision. In fact, depending on your jurisdiction, police may not even respond to the scene of an accident unless there’s an injury involved. Texas Transportation Code §550.062 states that officers only need to submit a written accident report if a crash results in injury, death, or more than $1,000 in property damage.

If you were in an accident that did not require a police report or investigation, Texas does still allow you to fill out a “blue form” driver’s crash report (CR-2). While the Texas Department of Transportation no longer requires nor retains the CR-2 form, it can still be an important and effective way to create a record and document the circumstances of your crash for insurance purposes.

Obtaining a Copy of Your Accident Report

At the time of the accident, the reporting officer should have given you an accident or incident report number. This is the easiest information with which to obtain your report. If you don’t have this number, you can still obtain the report provided you have the following information:

  • Date and time of the accident
  • City, state and location of the accident
  • Name of the driver(s) involved in the accident
  • Investigating police department

If your accident occurred in 2018 or later, you will most-likely be able to search for and request a copy of your crash report online at However, some municipalities in Texas may still require you to visit the police department in person or request a copy by mail.

In Dallas, you can purchase a certified copy of your Texas Peace Officer’s Crash Report online, through the mail (using form CR-91), or in person at the Dallas Police Department’s customer service window located at 1400 S. Lamar St.

Texas Transportation Code §550.065 (c)(4) limits the release of a crash report to “any person directly concerned in the accident or having a proper interest therein” (e.g., involved parties, their attorneys, and insurance companies). If you already have an attorney handling your injury claim, they will usually obtain the official report for you the minute it’s available.

A personal injury attorney can be particularly helpful throughout the claims process, as they’ve helped countless people just like you get the money they deserve following a serious accident. Not only can hiring an attorney save you considerable time and effort, but they can also explain the report (including the codes and other legal information) as well as help you dispute and correct incorrect information—all on a no-win no-fee basis.

Montgomery Law

Montgomery Law is a Dallas-based personal injury law firm focused on getting clients the justice and compensation they deserve.

Call us toll-free at 1-833-720-6090 to discuss your case today for no cost.

By | 2019-07-19T11:20:31-05:00 February 18th, 2019|

Leave A Comment